Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Ultra Cross (Ultra CX) notes

Notes on riding Ultra Cross, such as the Eager Beaver 100:

  • Use gearing that can truly climb.  My 40/28 SLX crankset enabled me to climb the worst hills (including the dreaded Mudderhorn), while countless other riders had to walk.  I'll bet a lot of those guys could have pedaled to the top with better gearing.  I believe that this change to my bike--one of the cheapest in the peloton--makes my bike one of the best for an UltraCross ride. 
  • Be careful not to run tires at too low pressure.  The number of people who flatted in the first 10k of the Eager Beaver was stunning.  Hazard to guess that low pressures over really rough gravel contributed to a lot of flats.  I rode at 80psi, a rough ride, but no pinch flats!   I also had incredible climbing power, even at high pressure, thanks to the 40/28 crankset.  
  • If it looks like rain, run some sort of defense.  I had a Forward Deflector on front, which helped keep a lot of mud and water out of my face.  On the back I ran an Ass Saver and a Polisport rear fender.  These kept untold liters of water and mud off of my backside.  
  • Carry a tube, patch-kit, and pump.  Who's gonna help you out there when you flat?  Best to be able to help yourself and let others ride by.  Be self-sufficient, and be prepared.  
  • Carry a multi-tool, to tighten something loose, fix a brake, adjust a derailleur, etc. 
  • Mental note: carry a chainbreak and learn how to use it.  I dread the day when I break a chain out in the middle of nowhere.  
  • Eat a huge breakfast, and do so 2 hrs before the ride.  Eat a bit more just before the ride: a banana, e.g.  For breakfast, I like to eat power porridge (oats, buckweat groats, 8-grain, seeds, nuts, spices, almond milk, coconut, raisins).  
  • Carry a lot of bars, gels, etc.  Calories are your friend.  
  • Carry a lot of liquid: hydration is your friend.
  • Bottle cages: man---how many people lose their bottles in an UltraCross race??  At the EB100, I'm guessing that at least 25% of riders lost a bottle or two.  Maybe even 30%.  Bottles everywhere!  Indeed, I lost mine.  I nearly panicked, before realizing that I just had to wait for the next rough descent, whereupon--sure enough--I scored a replacement bottle.  You should have metal (alloy or steel) cages and these should be bent beforehand to reduce the chance of a bottle bouncing out.  Sooooo easy: just take the top lip and bend it towards the frame.  It should be a bit of an effort to get the bottle in and out.  
  • Sun.  Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm. 
  • When the going gets tough, try to smile.  Really!  Shake your head and grin.  Turn to someone near you.  Smile and say something like: "Man, this is kicking my ass!"  or "We must be crazy!"  or "It's easy the rest of the way, right?"  I find that the act of smiling really helps recharge me.  Instead of "this sucks," my attitude becomes more like: "Wow, this is nuts, in a good way."  

No comments: