Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Giant TCX Advanced SX: a bargain priced off road rocket?

When I saw this bike in Canadian Cycling it just leapt off the pages: a full carbon TCX priced at only $2350 CAD (about $2000 US) retail.  This TCX is designed for a more gravel-like performance, as opposed to cyclocross.  So the frame has more give and a bit less go.
GIANT TCX Advanced SX

According to the magazine article, this is the first cross bike that's ever received Giant's "SX" badge, by which they mean that it's super rugged.  Because of the abuse I rain down on my bikes, that's important to me.

This bike goes out the door with some lovely Maxxis Ramblers, size 700 x 40.  One presumes that the frame would allow even larger tires. The thru-axles on both wheels are nice, as is the 142mm rear-spacing, which keeps you in the game for 29er wheels.

I like the D-Fuse seatpost, which promises to deflect a lot of bumps.  And I like that the cockpit is shorter, to give a bit more control off-road.

My concern with this bike is the SRAM Apex 1 x 11 drivetrain.  The massive 11 x 42 range of the cassette should help get up some steep grades, but... probably not the worst of the dirt slopes I like to climb.  That 40 tooth ring up front probably just can't generate a low enough gear for me.

I'm also worried that this bike is built more for speed on dirt roads than for mobility on trails.  BikeRumor sums up the bike's roles: "With the racing geometry of the TCX cross family and the comfort of an AnyRoad, the SX provides a great mix of dirt, gravel, and paved capabilities."  It would be interesting to take this beauty on single-track, to see whether she eats it up, or gets eaten.   My hunch is that this bike will fail as a dirt climber and as a single-track descender.  But, maaaaaan, I'll bet this thing just flies down the dirt roads.  And, on sale?  For $1500 CAD?  That would be hard to pass up.

No comments: