Friday, December 02, 2016

Arriving soon: the CRANKSET we really need

Gravel / Ultracross / Monster Cross cyclists take note: a better crankset will soon be headed our way.  Mark at Bikehugger sums up the issues nicely.  We need a crankset that can go low enough to climb steep dirt paths, not unlike a mountain bike.  And that's true, even without being loaded: for bikepackers the need is even more extreme.  To meet the need myself, I run a 40/28 Shimano SLX crank.  I do spin out sometimes going downhill on pavement.  It's probably a bit low, but what other options do I have but a mountain bike crank?

Coming soon: some 46/30 cranks!  Here are three:

* SUGINO OX901D Compact Plus Crankset.  At a whopping $455 CAD (including BB), I won't be buying this crank anytime soon.
* the FSA TEMPO looks to be far more affordable.  Tempo is a budget line.  It's coming out for 9 speed systems,  which is a real drawback for a lot of us, and an indication that this is going to be a heavy and cheap crank for use on lower end gravel grinders.
* The IRD DEFIANT.  http://store.interlocracing.com/irdderodocr.html  Looks like they're asking $217 US for this retro looking 9/10 speed compatible crankset
.  


I won't buy any of these, b/c of the cost and drivetrain compatibility, but I'm excited to see that the manufacturers are finally catching on!  





No comments: